Xi Jinping is one of the most powerful men in the world. China’s head of state likes to appear down-to-earth and down-to-earth. But behind this is a politician with calculation and aspirations for power. Allegedly, only one problem causes him: a cuddly Disney bear. You can also find out which singer Xi is married to.
Xi Jinping as a caveman with political ambitions
- Xi Jinping is an enigma to many Westerners. He leads his country China with an iron hand and is still revered – according to the Chinese media. The pronunciation of his name is also a mystery. At least this point we can resolve quickly. Xi Jinping is pronounced Shi Gengpin.
- Xi was born on June 15, 1953 in Beijing. When he was 15, he moved to the Chinese countryside, where he worked as a farm boy and lived in a cave. Today that cave can be admired by tourists. Hundreds of thousands of Chinese tourists in particular are drawn there.
- According to Xi, he worked hard – always with his goal in mind: he wanted to become a politician. Xi tried to join the Communist Party ten times, nine times without success. The reason was the past of Xi’s father, who fell out of favor with the party as a communist revolutionary and was arrested in 1962.
- Xi Jinping wanted to do things differently from his father. His perseverance finally got him access to the party in 1973. He steadily worked his way up until he was finally elected President of the People’s Republic of China in 2013.
- On the surface, Xi’s leadership style differs significantly from that of his predecessors. While a Chinese president had been a closed book up to that point, Xi was down-to-earth and down-to-earth. It bordered on a minor revolution that everyone in China knew who the president was married to.
- To underline his down-to-earth attitude, Xi travels within China exclusively by scheduled flight. To do this, however, the aircraft must be equipped with a living room, bedroom and office. A great effort that turns the down-to-earth into a curiosity.
Demonstration of power: Xi Jinping during his speech at the World Economic Forum in 2002
Uncle optics distracts – Xi is anything but harmless
Political calculations can certainly be assumed behind the down-to-earth attitude that is on display in public. It is about expanding and maintaining power. The fact that Xi is not a harmless uncle is shown by the millions of people imprisoned, some of whom are under arrest for reasons that are questionable. For example, the former real estate manager Ren Zhiqiang was sentenced to 18 years in prison in 2020 because, according to the ” Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung “, he called Xi a clown.
- In addition, the most powerful man in China abolished a law in 2018 that previously limited the term of office of a Chinese head of state to a maximum of ten years. Xi Jinping has thus made himself ruler for life.
- In the western media, Xi is also repeatedly criticized for suppressing and silencing not only members of the opposition but also the Uyghur minority with his restrictive approach. Another point of criticism is the public, digital surveillance, which reaches far into the privacy of Chinese citizens.
- But Xi’s personal public enemy number one is a little yellow bear. At the first meeting between Xi and then-US President Barack Obama, the media compared the politicians to Disney characters Tigger and the chubby bear Winnie the Pooh.
- Honey-loving Winnie the Pooh quickly became a problem bear for Xi. According to media reports, he banned any comparisons with the Disney bear and banned Winnie the Pooh from China – including the Internet. This is what “ The Guardian ” reported, among others.
Family man Xi: wife and children
Xi likes to portray himself as a loving family man. He met and fell in love with his wife, the singer Peng Liyuan, in 1986. A year later the couple married. Xi and Peng are parents to a daughter named Xi Mingze. The girl saw the light of day in 1992.
- Xi lives on a large estate in the middle of Beijing. He should like to get up early, preferably before sunrise, and work well into the night. Whether this is true has not been proven.
- What is known is that the Chinese head of state has a fondness for the sport of soccer. When he travels the world politically, he is said to often stock up on football souvenirs. In the meantime, he is said to have built up a considerable football jersey collection.
- Xi is considered an educated man who has a penchant for classical literature. Among other things, he is said to have read Goethe’s “Faust” and “Das Kapital” by Karl Marx.
- The amount of Xi’s fortune is not known. Among other things, the “ New York Times ” researched stock assets, company shares and real estate belonging to the family members of powerful Xi Jinping officials – whereupon Xi had Internet access to the “New York Times” blocked in China. The result of the research was that the orbit around Xi sits on a billion dollar fortune. Either way, Xi must be a very rich man.
- Xi Jinping is a Chinese politician who serves as General Secretary of the Chinese Communist Party (CPC), President of the People’s Republic of China (PRC), and Chairman of the Central Military Commission (CMC). Xi has been the supreme leader, the highest-ranking official in China, since 2012, and he was officially given the title of “core leadership” by the CPC in 2016. Xi is the first Secretary-General born after the founding of the People’s Republic of China. As a Chinese nationalist, he has tightened restrictions on civil society and ideological discourse through increased censorship and mass surveillance.As the central figure of the People’s Republic’s fifth-generation leadership, Xi has centralized institutional power by holding a wide range of leadership positions, including chairing the newly formed National Security Commission and new steering committees for economic and social reforms. military restructuring and modernization; and the Internet. Xi’s political thoughts were written into the party and state constitutions. He also returned to a cult of personality during his tenure, removing term limits for the presidency in 2018.
Xi Jinping has an estimated net worth of $1.5 billion.